Sunday 16th, December 2018
canara news

HC orders status quo on Herald House

Published On : 15 Nov 2018


New Delhi, (IANS) In a relief to the Associated Journals Ltd (AJL), the Delhi High Court in an interim direction on Thursday ordered that status quo should be maintained until November 22 at the Herald House here from where the National Herald is published.

Justice Sunil Gaur's order came on a plea filed by AJL challenging the Centre's October 30 direction that the Herald House be vacated.

The AJL alleged that the Centre was "illegally, unconstitutionally, arbitrarily and in a deliberate attempt" trying "to suppress and destroy the legacy of the first Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru".

The Urban Development Ministry had said that the Herald House's 56-year-old lease to AJL had ended and asked the AJL to vacate the premises by November 15.

The central government on Thursday assured the court that it would not take possession of the premise but only initiate legal proceedings to have the building vacated.

The AJL told the court that it had been publishing the National Herald newspaper for decades. There was a brief temporary suspension due to financial trouble but the newspaper and its digital media operations had been fully resumed.

The weekly 'National Herald on Sunday' was resumed on September 24, 2017 and it is published from the Herald House. On October 14, the AJL resumed its weekly Hindi newspaper.

The government reportedly inspected the premises a few months ago and found that the area allotted to AJL was not being used for the publication of the newspaper for the past 10 years, the court was told.

 

AJL said that those who came for inspection did not visit the rooms where the printing press was installed along with stocks of papers.







More News

Modi condoles actor Ambareesh's death
Modi condoles actor Ambareesh's death
Trump signals deal with Mexico on asylum seekers
Trump signals deal with Mexico on asylum seekers
Vested interests trying to fail India's first engine-less train: Official
Vested interests trying to fail India's first engine-less train: Official

Write your Comments

Disclaimer: Please write your correct name and email address. Kindly do not post any personal, abusive, defamatory, infringing, obscene, indecent, discriminatory or unlawful or similar comments. canaranews.com will not be responsible for any defamatory message posted under this article.

Please note that under 66A of the IT Act, sending offensive or menacing messages through electronic communication service and sending false messages to cheat, mislead or deceive people or to cause annoyance to them is punishable. It is obligatory on CANARANEWS to provide the IP address and other details of senders of such comments, to the authority concerned upon request.

Hence, sending offensive comments using canaranews will be purely at your own risk, and in no way will canaranews.com be held responsible.